Our quaint village of Intercourse has a long, rich history. From its early beginnings to today, it has been a small, close-knit community surrounded by fertile farmland. Today people come to visit our village from all over the world. As you plan your visit to Intercourse, enjoy learning more about our village.
1724 The Scots-Irish members of the Pequea Presbyterian Church are a large part of the first immigrants to the area.
1730The King’s Highway is planned, running from Lancaster to Philadelphia. Today this highway is known as Route 340 or The Old Philadelphia Pike.
1754Cross Keys Tavern is established. This is the beginning of the village of Cross Keys.
1790sAmish arrive in Leacock Township.
1794The Lancaster-Philadelphia Turnpike is completed. Today this is known as Route 30.
1796Newport Road is laid out, going from Mt. Hope, Pennsylvania to Newport, Delaware. This is now known as Route 772.
1814The name of the village changes to Intercourse; the village consists of five buildings.
1827Traveler’s Rest Inn is established.
1833Jacob Wenger builds the first store in Intercourse, which is now The Old Country Store.
1844Leacock Township builds a public school in Intercourse.
1852Intercourse Association of Lancaster County for the Detection of Horse and Other Thieves is organized.
1862A second general store, which is now Zimmerman’s, is established.
1881Wenger’s Store, owned by Moses and Jason Eaby, is destroyed by fire and rebuilt soon afterwards.
1883Intercourse has 54 dwellings, 280 people, 2 stores, 2 hotels, 1 feed store, 1 blacksmith, 1 wheelwright, 2 harness makers, 1 shoe store, 1 cabinet shop, 3 carpenter shops, 1 butcher shop, 2 churches, 2 schools, 3 physicians, 1 dentist, and 1 tobacco warehouse. There are 158 owners of farms in Leacock Township; 65 have Amish names.
1892Diller’s Store, which is today known as Zimmerman’s, is destroyed by fire, along with a few other buildings.
1898Stagecoach line from Intercourse to Lancaster is established.
1908First National Bank of Intercourse is founded.
1909Street lights are installed. Intercourse Telephone and Telegraph Company is organized.
1910Motor truck replaces stagecoach.
1924Bus line is established on Route 340.
1951Dial telephones are installed in Intercourse.
1956Unsuccessful petitions to change the name of Intercourse back to “Cross Keys” or to “Smokerville” circulate.
1966Eros Publishers, a pornography business, is turned down in its efforts to establish Intercourse as a mailing address.
1971Plan to sell one-inch lots in Intercourse is refused.
1976The People’s Place, an educational center on the Amish and Mennonites, is established by the Goods. (After 28 years of operation, it closed in 2004.)
1978The Old Country Store opens at the location of the oldest store in the area.
1988The People’s Place Quilt Museum opens its first exhibit of antique Amish quilts on the second floor of The Old Country Store.
2004The Intercourse Community Park is dedicated on the east end of town.
2007The Pequea Valley Public Library is built.
2009www.OldCountryStoreFabrics.com is launched globally.
2014The Old Country Store is purchased by Dean and Jan Mast and their partners.
An old racetrack was once located east of the village. The entrance to the track was referred to as “enter course.” Some believe that this term gradually became Intercourse.
The town may have been named due to its location at the intersection, or “Intercourse,” of the roads that are today Routes 340 and 772.
At the time the town was named, the word “Intercourse” was commonly used to refer to casual social interaction and friendship — wholesome traits that are a daily part of rural life and may have influenced the naming of the town.
A newspaper advertisement meant to bring
new residents to the village.
Founded in 1852, the association charged
annual dues of 25 cents insuring members
the safe return of stolen livestock.
The Intercourse baseball team was active
from the 1920s to the 1940s.
A Rowe motor truck replaced the Intercourse stagecoach in 1911.