The Old Country Store was the first store built in the town in 1833. The store is shown here in 1910, when it was owned and operated by the Eaby family.
The Old Country Store is the oldest store in the village of Intercourse, built in 1833 by Jacob Wenger. One year later, Moses Eaby took over the store, and eventually his son Jason joined him in the business. A fire in the fall of 1881 destroyed the store, but it was quickly rebuilt, this time in brick. In 1913 Jason died, and his wife, Amanda Zook Eaby, took over the store.
The Worst family purchased the store in 1931. It is shown here in the 1950s.
Amanda passed the store responsibilities on to Ralph S. Worst in 1926 and eventually sold the business to him in 1931. Worst started a blacksmith shop behind the store. In addition, he opened the building next to the store, where the Village Pottery and People’s Place Book Shoppe and Gallery are now located. Worst sold hardware and farming supplies in this neighboring building. An elevator in the store was used to lift grains and hardware from the basement and is still preserved in the Village Pottery.
Through the years, the store has had a variety of occupants, including an antique business and a quilt shop. In 1984, the property was acquired by Merle and Phyllis Good and their partners. They have overseen The Old Country Store since then, offering fabric, locally created crafts and quilts, quilting supplies, and food. The second floor of the Store features the nationally-acclaimed People’s Place Quilt Museum and The Museum Shoppe.
The Old Country Store is a destination you cannot miss. We're located in the village of Intercourse, in the heart of Amish Country in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.